Thursday 4 June 2015

Miniature Spotlight: Bolt Thrower Snail



Before I start eulogising about how wonderful the new Bolt Thrower range is, I probably should make you aware that I am at least partly responsible. You may have guessed this, after all the shop is on this blog. I supply the ideas, people with actual talents then turn these into awesome sculpts and bad-ass artwork.
 
'Anyway I think I was talking about snails. At first glance you may think a snail is a rather left field idea for a line of fantasy miniatures. Not so. If you are familiar with medieval manuscripts (and if not, why not?) you will know that they appear all over the place. Seriously, everywhere. No one is quite sure why this is, but if you want to know more I suggest you read this blog that gave me the idea in the first place: Rab's Geekly Digest.
 
This little critter was sculpted by George Fairlamb, darling of the Oldhammer set, and weighs in at 15mm to the top of his shell.
 
Like all our miniatures he was cast up by Ainsty Castings to a pleasingly high standard, and comes in one piece.
 
In the bottom picture he can be seen terrorising a poor 28mm knight from Wargames Foundry.
 




3 comments:

  1. It is a very nice model. On a tangent, earlier today I rescued a real snail from a roasting hot car park, and popped him into a shady corner, in part because he reminded me of this sculpt (almost exactly the same pose). Strange but true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very nice model. On a tangent, earlier today I rescued a real snail from a roasting hot car park, and popped him into a shady corner, in part because he reminded me of this sculpt (almost exactly the same pose). Strange but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link-back! I'm busily promoting the snail models every chance I get - my four are on the painting desk at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete